Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Writing from my point of view


My writing process varies slightly depending on the subject. Usually I start with my topic and then list points that I feel are important to the ideas or thoughts I am trying to convey to my audience. I then list points about each of these ideas that help explain them and further my message. Afterwards I take these ideas and sort them into a logical order so that they flow from a beginning to end smoothly. Once I have these ideas sorted into their proper places, I am now ready to begin my writing. This set up procedure might seem like a waste of time and many prefer to just jump in and start writing, but preparation is extremely important to writing a clear concise article. As the old saying goes, failure to plan is a plan to fail. Here is a general idea of how this outline is set up.

As I begin my writing, in the first paragraph of the article I want to introduce to my audience, the general idea or ideas I am wanting to share. Wetting their appetite, so to speak, can peak their interest in what I wanted to share and encourage more intent reading of the rest of my writing. After this introductory paragraph, I begin with discussing the first sub topic in my outline. Using the subsequent topics under it, I explain the topic, it's relevance to my overall subject, and important information concerning it. I do this with the next subtopic and work my way down the outline until I have shared all the information I had outlines. As a conclusion, my final paragraph needs to recap the main ideas of my article and tie them into my overall subject.

An important step that is often overlooked is thorough proofreading of your writing after conclusion. I usually prefer to take a break before this to clear my mind. In my proofreading, I not only look for grammatical and spelling errors, but also check that my information is clear and understandable for my audience. Sometimes adding more explanation or removing run on explanations are necessary for a better flow of information. I have been lucky enough in the past to have a english major girlfriend who was willing to read over my writing and give me candid tips for improving and clarifying it.

1 comment:

  1. I also use a formal outline when I am writing. It keeps my process clear and a steady flow going. I even do a rough draft of the outline before I start writing to ensure I am satisfied. I would be lost if just jumped right on into it without some kind of guideline or outline to follow.

    ReplyDelete