Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Map to Finding the Droids You Are Looking For



Finding information on the internet is entirely too easy these days. An example of this was when I entered "Kent library" in Google to get the above graphic, I received About 86,800,000 results. The primary problem with this inundation of information is what is its actual source? Any person with a general idea of web design or any of hundreds of web design programs can create a web site stating whatever they want about any subject. The internet is not restrictive about the truthfulness of the information posted there, so finding information that is reliable is difficult to say the least. Through the use of the Kent Library web sight, this problem can be easily avoided. All information we find through this path is completely reliable enough to be used in our research. 

In itself this is a huge help to us in our research. We don't have to check and double check to avoid providing erroneous information. This is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak for this avenue to information. Through the use of the keyword search, we can take a topic and distill it down into a precise thesis for our paper. We can then also find addition supporting points for our topic as well as variation of the directions to go with our discussion and development of our supporting thoughts. 


To better learn the tricks and tools associated with the Kent Library site, I highly suggest the brief searchpath tutorial found on the library's page. This tutorial helps us to learn how to search for topics and ideas as well as how to narrow or expand our search to obtain the correct amount of information.  By improving our search, this shortens the amount of time it takes to find our source information and greatly simplifies our research part of writing.  





1 comment:

  1. Sonney,
    I have no doubt that Kent Library has excellent and reliable sources; I just could not seem to figure out how to find them! I spent a lot of time looking to see if I could find any information about my topic, but I never found any. I’ll be sure to check out that video so I can learn how to use Kent Library.

    ReplyDelete